Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Talk Turkish To Me

Ever since I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe I have wanted to try Turkish delight.  When Edmund was asked to choose one item to eat, he chose Turkish delight.  In my mind I am wondering how good it must taste if that is the first thing to pop up in his mind.  My second thought, I want to try some and evaluate this for myself.  Alas, many years have passed and I have had yet to try it.  And my dream was almost forgotten until I was checking out a favorite blog of mine entitled Sprinkle Bakes.  The writer, Heather Baird, loves desserts and makes wonderful and beautiful desserts.  Check out her site a.s.a.p. it just makes you want to bake, or at least enjoy yummy sweets!

On June 6 of this year she did a Narnia post (link here) and made a beautiful white witch cake along with......you guessed it....Turkish Delight.  As I was reading the post, the directions and ingredients weren't so complicated that it scared me away.  Hallelujah! So of course I ran out and snagged the ingredients I was lacking to get started.  
Raring to go.
And what makes it even better, it is made in the microwave!
No oven needed here.
It was relatively easy to make, although I don't think my consistency was as thick as it needed to be before pouring into the pan. But it was my first time.  I used pink food coloring, but of course you could make it any color.
Does this remind anyone about Ghostbusters II?
I let mine set-up overnight which worked fine, but I wasn't actually able to cut them into servings and toss them in cornstarch and powdered sugar until I got home from work.
So the verdict.......

They turned out beautiful that's for sure.  The recipe called to roll the cubes into powdered sugar and cornstarch, I think next time I would just stick to powdered sugar.  They are very sweet, I could see how Edmund a sugar loving pre-teen would request this dish.  My husband enjoyed them and as for me, I think I am still on the fence.  Because it is so sweet I could only stand one or two bites and I have a major sweet tooth.  Turkish Delight was fun to make and pretty to look at and I am prepared to make it if I am going to serve it.  It would be fun to have the Turkish Delight colored for your favorite college hoops team or wedding colors for a bridal shower.  Make it if you get a wild hare like me and just has to find out what something tastes like.


No comments:

Post a Comment