Monday, November 14, 2011

Mis-Mantled

I love fireplaces and mantles in homes.  They create wonderful areas of warmth and focus for the home.  It's fun to decorate for many seasons and occasions. I am lucky enough to have a mantle in my own home, but I am not satisfied with how I have decorated it.  Our ceilings are 14', so I feel everything looks teeny on my mantle with all that height up above.  What is a poor little interior designer to do???

My goal is to find something large in scale that would work, but there in lies another struggle: mirror vs. store bought art vs. I paint vs. photography, etc.  Another problem, I would like the mantle display to be adaptable for seasons and holidays, like a place to hang a wreath/garland.  I also do not want to spend a lot of money in my attempts at decorating this important focal point of my living room (and also kitchen).  So, I looked to Pinterest for help.  Here are some of my pins that sparked some ideas!

Lots of photos.
Good mix of tradition and rustic.
Piece of art to center inspiration.
Large mirror resembles window pane.
Mixes of texture and media.
I like everything about this.
Like the round mirror w/ letter.
Large framed photo w/ greenery.
I like both the idea of having a large mirror with smaller photos, plants and candles surrounding.  But I also love the idea of using the mantle to make an artistic statement, but I just can't find a piece that the husband and I both can agree on.  I'll need to definitely think further on this.  And also this past weekend the husband and I thought of placing the television above the mantle to give us some more breathing room where we sit.  Decisions, decisions.  I'm keeping my eyes open though for any piece or beautiful mirror that just seems like "the one".  It sure is fun to look at decorating ideas on Pinterest, helps any cases of the Mondays!

No comments:

Post a Comment