Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Thanksgiving for Interior Designers Only

West Elm.
An entire Thanksgiving feast with all the trimmings, but to attend you must be a graduate of UK's Interior Design School Class of 2007!  This tradition has been going on for about 7 years now and we sometimes can't believe it.  Back in design school (second year) a few of the girls decided to have their own Thanksgiving and invite all the designers over to feast!  I actually did not attend the first dinner, for whatever reason I can't remember now, I think I was out of town.  But I made up for it with my participation third year of school, and the "Interior Design Thanksgiving" Tradition stuck.  We actually cook a turkey and by "we" I mean not me!  HA!  And each person brings a side or dessert. And we dig in! 

This Saturday evening will be our 7th year doing this.  The only difference now is that most of us are married (only one of us has a kid), we have paying jobs, we own property, get more sleep, improved our cooking talents and a lot of people have to travel now to our dinner.  Our class is now spread across the country: Lexington, KY to Yuma, AZ to New York, NY to Cincinnati, OH to St. Louis, MO!  Now not everyone travels THAT far to come and I can't blame them, although it is quite an event in our circle!  Even our favorite professor joins us, who is finally retiring this year after 40 years at the school. 

I hope this tradition can continue as long as possible, I know as time goes on schedules will get busier, people will have children and phone calls will be less frequent.  But for now we are staying strong and it's pretty impressive.  Traditions can weigh on people sometimes (I can think of some crazy family traditions that sometimes I'm just not in the mood for), but when it comes down to it they're something that you can depend and brings comfort to the soul.  I was going to include some pictures of our dinners, but there are NONE! I can't believe this.  We better start a new tradition this year of taking pictures, we are usually way to busy catching up, talking and laughing! Ah, good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment