Monday, January 16, 2012

Hot Rolls

My first memories of hot hair rollers were from childhood on picture day.  My mom would put my hair in the plastic and piping hot rollers, held in place with what I thought was a ginormous paper clip.  After they had cooled off, she would take them out and tell me to flip my head upside down to release the curls and add volume, then hairspray.  It was very cute and I liked being made-up, especially for important days such as weddings, school picture days,etc.  

I have never actually owned a set of hot rollers, for whatever reason, and for the past few years I wanted a set and never actually bought them.  What set do I get? Which one will achieve the look I want?  What look do I want to achieve!?! So many questions.  To achieve the waves that are everywhere right now, I would either use a curling iron and curl every strand (and with my thick sometimes long hair) this can take an eternity.  Or use a clever non-heat method, such as sleeping in a sock bun.  A working girl that has to be at the office at 8 a.m. needs ways to save precious time in the morning.  So, I thought hot rollers would be a great way to get curls/waves all over and save me a ton of time. 

I bit the bullet this past weekend, and after years of wanting to buy some, I did!  I watched some YouTube reviews of women that had tried two different sets to see what they like and what styles they achieved, this helped a lot.  I recommend to check out YouTube videos of makeup reviews, hair product reviews and styling tips.  It helps to see the products in action and to get an opinion.  The state of my hair currently is: just below my shoulders, growing out my Zooey Deschanel blunt bangs (which means they will be pinned back in some form for the next two months!).  I was worried that large rollers in the 1.5" to 2" range would be too large and my hair wouldn't curl, I was afraid that it would just curl under and look like I round brushed it.  I can get a set with large 2" rollers once my hair gets to a long length.  For now, for my length, and style I want I decided a medium roller of 1.25" would be adequate.  So with this worry in mind, and after YouTube watching I landed on:
Remington's T Studio, Set of 20 (12 - 1.25", 8-0.75")
The set runs around $35, and with a 4-year warranty.  The curler's are heated horizontally as opposed to the traditional vertical coil and each roller comes with it's own clip to hold in place, which warm up with the rollers as well.  Some reviews complained about the clips leaving marks on the hair.  The clips leave marks on my hair, but I want loose curls and I only wear the rollers for about 2.5 minutes and the marks quickly leave as I work through my curls.  The rollers are velvet covered which help hold the hair and not burn my fingers.  I like this set and I am happy with my purchase, so happy I rolled my hair Saturday, Sunday and Monday! It takes so little time that I just love it!  The rollers also only take 90 seconds to heat up.  Here are a couple of pics of how it turned out.

So that's my UN-sponsored product review for today. Haha! I just wanted to share what I thought and what look I achieved and it only took 5 minutes, which is wonderful for a busy professional!

No comments:

Post a Comment