Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pinning Accomplishments (Part 3)

 Last night was my first class as a college instructor at my Alma Mater, UK's College of Design.  I was sooooo nervous, and I bet the kids could tell.  I don't know why I was nervous, I mean, I am the teacher right?  Any how, I really did like it and all the students were wonderful.  I hope to continue teaching part-time if I end up really enjoying it!

I wanted to show more accomplishments that I've achieved thanks to the wonderful Pinterest.  More focused on the DIY/craft/decor side of things.
corny.
I love that the simplest ideas are usually just about the most darling.  These candy corn candle displays were just perfect for the Halloween season and so of course, I imitated this for our Halloween party.  I already owned the clear glass containers, then visited the dollar store to snag some candy corn (which surprisingly was more delicious than the name brand).  
subtle.
not so subtle.
My first thought for this pin of white canvas and 3D letters was, What a great wedding gift!  And I still believe that it is.  However, I wanted to use the idea in a not so romantic format. 

Sometimes in the morning for me it is difficult to skip out the door all "honky-dorey" (not sure about the spelling there!?!), but when I look at my mantra on the wall it makes me laugh and helps me skip on outta there.  I found all the items at Hobby Lobby, canvas, letters, white acrylic paint, and white spray paint.  I first painted all the letters I needed then hot glued them to the canvas.  Then spray painted the canvas and glued letters with spray paint so all was glossy and consistent.  I like how it turned out and would like to make more.
clever.
In my kitchen I mounted an espresso floating shelf above our breakfast area and place three mismatched white plates (well two match, but anyways...) on them.  I wanted to write a cute message on the plates, but was so unsure as to what I wanted to write with my handy Sharpie Paint Pen (awesome by the by). Then I checked out Pinterest to see what I could find, because "Eat/Pray/Love" had just been done one time too many.  I'm a quirky person so I wanted something food related, funny, cute.  I found this farmer's market poster on a wall and just loved it at once.  See my version below.
kitchen humor.
I have seen these yarn wrapped wreaths on Pinterest many-a-times.  Craftspeople will sell them on Etsy as well, if you prefer not to make them yourself.  The pin below I believe is an Etsy available product.  However, I wanted to give it a whirl myself.
lovely.
I picked up a round straw wreath from Hobby Lobby.  Selected my yarn for the wreath body and picked out some felt for the flowers.  I actually kept the plastic around the wreath that comes on it.  Since I was not sticking anything in the straw or gluing directly to the body of the wreath I just let it on for overall aesthetic consistency.  I wrapped the wreath twice with yarn (one large unit of yarn worked fine), but it is tedious.  I put in a DVD and cozied up with my yarn wrapping to help pass the time.  Then I looked up felt yarn tutorials via Pinterest and used a combination of all that I read.  I actually did not glue the flowers to the wreath, I just used pins.  I wanted to be able to switch them out depending on the season.  I selected these colors for fall, but for spring I have bright green and purple flowers and summer are warm and bright colors.  I really loved the way it turned out and how well it greets guests and I get so many good responses when people realize that I made it!  In fact, I'm going to make some for friends at their requests.

More to come! Have a fabulous day!

2 comments:

  1. Loving all of these and your blog. totally following. if you get a second, I'd love if you checked out mine. it's all about the adventures of a small town girl turned LA local. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the shout! Checked out fashboulevard and loved your great outfit inspirations, and I am now a follower. Thanks girl!

      Delete