Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Keenelanding, a verb you should know


In my hometown there is a magical place called Keeneland, a place where dreams come true.  Well, maybe not everyone's dreams.  And maybe no real magic happens there, but I sure do love it.  Keeneland is a racetrack that is located here in Lexington and this year is celebrating it's 75th anniversary!  Something that is older than me for once (hehe).  
I have childhood memories of coming to this track as a child and bewildered at its beauty.  What makes Keeneland different than your average racetrack is its architectural beauty, landscape and tradition.  Also, unlike Churchill Downs (where the KY Derby takes place) hats are a no no.  Now if you hat the sun in your eyes or have a skin condition I'll allow it, but other than that no hats! Go to Louisville for that (although wearing those beautiful hats are fun, but fun on Derby Day).  
 There are two live racing meets that last 4 weeks each during the year.  Spring Meet (April) and Fall Meet (October).  I prefer Fall Meet, the weather is slightly more predictable and the colors of the trees that time of year are stunning.  Like anything worth doing in this town, you tailgate for Keeneland.  Some bring cornhole, beer pong, etc.  Others bring a spread of food that you think you are at your Aunt Lena's for Easter Brunch!  Kegs are around, Mobile BBQ cookers, party buses and more.  I usually try to show up between 10:30 and 11:00 a.m. to mark out my tailgate spot.  Even though the first race does not begin until 1:05 p.m.  The lots fill up very quickly, especially on a beautiful day.  Record crowds can be in the 20,000s!  Gambling for fun is my thing, having never won any money at the track.  But for me, a gal, the best part is dressing up (packing flip flops for later) and seeing everybody all dolled up (even the dudes). That's why I call the act of participating the meets and going here, Keenelanding.  This is something you do, all day! 

It's a wonderful time and you get to see beautiful horses, landscape, guys and gals!  Everyone should visit it once and experience it for themselves.  In fact, I love Keeneland so much that the hubby and I had our engagement portraits shot here.  But why am I still writing this post, I've got to get my bootay to the track! Well, not today though.  Keeneland is closed on Monday :( but maybe tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment