Monday, October 31, 2011

Scaredy-Cat

I am indeed a self-proclaimed Scaredy-Cat.  I scream bloody murder when my husband just slightly sneaks up on me.  And scary movies??? Forget about it!  My husband loves them, so since I am an all-fair wife and know how to compromise I have watched more scary movies in the two years we have been together then my whole life prior to meeting him. Now, I did watch scary movies before him, but it was rare!  Here are some of my most favorite and least favorite scary/Halloween movies.

I get bothered mostly by the cheap thrill scares. You know when the music is growing in volume, the character is reaching for the door handle and then BAM! The jump out scares that make you scream.  
He had to cut off his what?
Saw - Now I am talking about the original, not the third, six or the 3D version. I thought the concept for the movie was great, a killer that actually didn't do any of the killing.  The victim harms him/herself while he actually doesn't do anything, just sets up the scenarios.  The original plays out like a mystery and with plenty of jumping parts for me to participate in.  I've actually seen this movie several times, but none of the MANY sequels. 
I still can't look out a window at night!
Scream - Again, the ORIGINAL! I saw this at a slumber party (my mother would never had allowed me to watch it) and was scared silly.  But as an adult I watched it again, and again, and again.  I know the parts to cover my eyes, but this is just an excellent classic scary movie.
The Curtains!
The Others -I jump and scream at all the parts I'm sure the director wanted his audience too.  And you got to love surprise twist endings! My husband does not classify this film as scary, I however disagree.

There are also a couple of other scary movies that don't make me scream, but disturb me.  The movies that really put you on edge, make you not trust your neighbor or even walk down your dark hallway.  These types of films I only watch once in my life and then never again.  Been there, done that! Warning! Do not watch these films if you are anything like me!
One of the least disturbing pictures I could find. 
Begotten - I watched the first 5 minutes and couldn't finish.  This film was made in the early 90s, there is no dialogue only imagery and some sounds.  Like I said, I only watched the first 5 minutes and my skin was crawling.  I made my husband turn it off! Apparently this movie is about some topics in Genesis and the inspiration came to the director after a near fatal car crash.
the theme song is playing in my head now. creepy.
The Exorcist - Afterward I went to my bedroom and read the Bible.
Never let strangers borrow your eggs.
Funny Games - The I no longer leave my garage door open, nor do I answer the door if my husband isn't home. I watched the original German version, however it was re-made in English starring Naomi Watts.

Alright, let's not let things get too heavy in here.  Let's talk about some movies that aren't too scary now.  Most of these other films I have talked about I have to watch either during the day (if by myself) or with a loyal companion to hide behind.  I enjoy watching these films during the Haunting Season and I can watch them by myself in the dark without anyone around.
Stuttering Stanley, Stuttering Stanley! Haley Joel was great in this film!
Sixth Sense - I still have to cover my eyes at some points in the film to make it, but this movie is done so well. I remember going to see this with some high school classmates and at the end of the movie I yelled out loud, "NO WAY!" when the surprise ending was revealed to me.
Johnny, so cute.
Sleep Hollow - This movie is beautifully dark and romantic.  Christopher Walken's headless horseman is scary and Johnny's heroism isn't always present as Ichabod Crane, but this is a fall classic for me.
Be careful what you wish for.
Coraline - A kid's movie you say.  Neigh.  This movie was on the dark side and I won't let my kids watch this until they are at least nine or so years old.  The hubby and I were like, "this is not what I was expecting", but it is a very good movie.
Tim Burton and Johnny Depp did it again!
 Sweeney Todd - Johnny again! I love the music in this and even as a vengeful psycho barber, he is still hot.

There you have it! Some fun, some scary, some mentally unsettling.  I hope everyone has a fun and safe Halloween.  As for me, I think tonight I might watch Casper (the one with Bill Pullman and Christina Ricci, now that's a classic!). 



No comments:

Post a Comment